Tramadol, a very important medication used for pain relief has been a hit since it hit the market. The importance of knowing the history of every step that has been taken in producing this pill is considered crucial to deeply understand the drug. We have put together few important aspects that has been happening overall few decades before getting Tramadol into action, and henceforth, the changed arised thereof.
- In the year 1995, Tramadol, sold under than brand name Ultram, has been recognized as a FDA approved medication as a potent opioid painkiller.
- Tramadol abuse cases have been noted by FDA and a reconsideration had been carried out in the year 1996, to possess a warning sign on the label.
- Opioid overdoses have peaked up in the year 1999, with several thousand users misusing the medication.
- In the year 2005, emergency department stated that non-medical Tramadol use began to rise steadily.
- There were over millions of people getting prescribed for Tramadol in the years following 2008.
- In 2009, FDA launched a campaign known as ‘Safe Usage ‘to restrict and try eradicating the drug abuse of Tramadol and few other drug. In the same year, FDA changed the label of Tramadol.
- An increase in substance overdose was involved in the year 2013.
- Tramadol has been classified as Schedule IV controlled drug by FDA in the year 2014.
The following infographic will give you these information graphically.